Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wayback View – The Syndicate - 1940

How feature writers and journalists distributed their articles to newspapers and magazines in 1940.
video
Please press the play arrow to view the video. Note that it may stop for a moment while the video buffers in the background.

The video includes a short clip of a journalist bashing away at a typewriter. Interestingly, when I was in high school during the early 1960s, I was not allowed to take typewriting classes because I was a boy. Typewriting was apparently "women's work" and only girls could enroll in typing classes. This infuriated my father, since, as a member of the British military police, he had to learn to type in order to fill out his reports and thought that everyone should be able to use a typewriter. In the wisdom of the day, the school enrolled me in a technical drawing class - which girls were not permitted to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment